Sunday, February 26, 2017

A Bit of a Reflection & then on to Ha Long Bay

Dennis~
Viet Nam isn't what I thought it was going to be. The towns I remember were much smaller. Maybe I idealized what the villages were like. When we went into villages in '66-'67, the people seemed curious about us and not so much afraid, as anxious. Families seemed happy, even in the poorest villages with dirt floor houses.

Now many people here don't seem to know about the war with the Americans. It really seems in the past. They may be conscious of it in the way my generation is conscious of World War I. The Vietnamese have been through so many wars, this one means no more or no less than any of the others. Two million people starved to death in the war with France because they were forced to plant rubber trees and coffee instead of rice. Only since planning this trip have I found out about the war and its causes. I see that for the younger generation here and at home it is a historical event that has little meaning now.

Dennis & Cindy~
Ha Long Bay

On Board Ship In Ha Long Bay

The boat, the accommodations, the food, the service were excellent. The staff on the boat provided us with everything you could want, including a great bartender! The scenery was spectacular. Karsts rise up out of the mist and encircle the boats. Yes, boats--the bay is FULL of them, both day trippers and overnighters. Go for the overnight trip!

Our Cabin


Sunny, our G Adventure guide and part of the staff
A Bit of Company


You've never heard Karaoke until you hear it echoing over water. OMG or as we now say, OMB (Oh My Buddha!). It sounded so good we thought we might try it on Front Nine. Imagine the sounds echoing up and down the street--oldies sung by the young at heart!

Sing, Sing a Song...

We swam, we boated into a cavern, we caved, we climbed.

Climb to the Top

Dennis~ (I want no part of this tale...cm)
Yea, had a bit of a problem here. Climbed to the top of an atoll to get a better view of the bay. Going up was good.

Up or Down?
View from the Top

Down? Not so much. Half way down a rumbling in my stomach started, well actually in my pants. "Can I make it? There's gotta be a toilet at the bottom!" Almost made it! But then -- a "shart." I ran as fast as I could and finally hit the beach at the bottom in full stride, running into the water in my trunks with my underwear still on. Smiling and nodding at the Golden Girls from Ireland who are part of our group. "Can't stop to chat, just can't wait to get into that water."

Out of my way. Gotta get in the Water!

Long sigh...a part of me still lies at the bottom of the South China Sea. Get my "drift"? Hope no one else did.

So Refreshing!

2 comments:

  1. Well, this is reality! Thank Buddha for the water! Great story, Dennis.

    ReplyDelete