Thursday, March 5, 2020

“Time will not slow down...”

Time will not slow down when something unpleasant lies ahead.”~Harry Potter  Nor will it slow down when something fun lies ahead.
The Gospel According to Dennis:
Quick story—Cindy wanted to visit the most famous bookstore in Porto, Livaria Lello & Irma. Today it’s over 100 years old and rumored to be the inspiration behind JK Rowling’s Harry Potter series as she frequented it while living here between 1991-1993. It’s a beautiful old building opened in 1906.

Now here’s the rub according to Dennis: when we approached the store there was a line of people (single file) waiting to get into the store.

When someone leaves, a door person in Harry Potter garb allows someone else to enter.  I guess there is a maximum occupancy threshold.  Everyone waits patiently with what appears to be a coupon in hand. I walked up to the “Guardian of the Gate” and asked her what the procedure for getting in was.  She kindly told me that to enter, I would have to purchase a coupon around the corner for €5 to be allowed to enter. I said, “Wait a minute. You mean I have to pay €5 to be able to spend money in your store?”

She smiled and said, “No, if you buy something we take €5 off the price.”
To which I replied, “But what if I don’t find what I want to buy?”
Still smiling, she said, “We have much for you to purchase but if you decide not to buy anything, yes, it will cost you €5 to shop around in our store.“
I was not stopping anyone from entering, just talking with the young lady but people in line were listening and starting to laugh, I’m sure not AT me though. Then she asked, “Where are you from?”
I replied, “The US.”
She asked, “Where in the US?”
Thinking what difference does it make? I replied, “Indiana.”
She then smiled sweetly and said, “Oh, I thought you were Portuguese. They don’t like to spend money to get in the store either.”  
Was this a compliment or was I being called cheap? Yea, I was “that guy” in line today.  I smiled and said, “You’re not gonna get my $5.00 today.”
She smiled and said, “It’s not $5.00, it’s €5. That’s more.”
I had to laugh and think we both got a kick out of our conversation.  Those in line listening? They were laughing and smiling too. I like to think they were laughing WITH me...??

From Cindy: “Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” ~Dumbledore to Harry Potter in the Half-Blood Prince. And tomorrow we will be off on another adventure but we will be stepping into the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment