Saturday, October 21, 2017

Tlaquepaque Research

10/21 5:30 AM
Yesterday we spent shopping in Tlaquepaque which is another beautiful town with an old town full of galleries, shops and restaurants.  Sergio Bustamante has a gallery there and a couple of his sculptures are outside on the pedestrian mall.  Bustamante was born in 1942 and his work began with papier-mâché and painting.  He then began to work in ceramic and metal sculpture and now is also designing furniture.   

Also found in Tlaquepaque is the gallery of one of my favorite ceramic artists, Rodo Padilla.  Many years ago, I visited Elana when she was teaching in Mexico and she took me to Tlaquepaque.  I fell in love with a sculpture of Padilla’s—a young boy and girl on a metal teeter totter which actually goes up and down. It so reminded me of Elana and Nick that I had to have it.  Guess what? I fell in love again, this time with the moon and it will be going home with us.      


Returning home later in the afternoon, I did a little painting at the patio table.  I’m trying the techniques I learned in Joan Fullerton’s class.  Learned is a bit of a strong word that suggests mastery.  Not so I’m afraid, but practicing and trying those techniques. As I was playing with the paint, I overheard the conversation going on between Dennis and Jim about their desirability to women.  Jim was retelling his experience meeting two women in the street (from his point of view).  I should have stayed quiet as I’m sure it would have gotten more interesting.  Instead I found myself interrupting.  “Stop.  I’m going to throw up!” Joan was right.  When painting play music, preferably fast to keep the paint flowing and in this case, loud to keep my ears from wandering.

Why am I up and drinking coffee and writing, you might wonder.  There is a charming little custom in Ajijic.  A canon is shot off at about 5:30 AM followed by a series of church bells.  The bells peal out about 20 times, there is space of ten minutes and the process is repeated every ten minutes until 6:00 AM.  I have actually slept through this but not this AM.  Now outside the compound the roosters are stirring and urging the sun up.  This is accompanied by a lively serenade.  There is either a band outside or someone has their radio on as a welcome to the day for the entire neighborhood, complete with drum solo. I just stepped onto the patio and looked up.  The stars are brilliant in a deep navy sky.  It’s going to be another beautiful day in Mexico and as the saying goes down here, “Relax, you’re on the fun side of the wall.”
Señor Schulz—
Just read Cindy’s description of our shopping experience in Tlaquepaque yesterday and would like to add my perspective.  In all fairness, I think I should have written first so she could punch holes in my theories/opinions.  Here goes—

While Cindy and Karen visited the many galleries and Cindy “fell in love again” with the vast assortment of treasures, Jim and I visited galleries of another sort.  We still had research to do.  We started our 11:00 AM journey with a visit to the gallery of the famed Mexican artist Jose Cuervo.  The color, aroma, and taste of his works of art were exemplary.  We could have easily enjoyed his art all day but we wanted to visit a few more galleries.  Next came Don Julio.  Just like Jose, Don’s art work was equally alluring.  Hmm, Jim and I questioned each other on which we felt produced the most favorable artwork but finally agreed we’d have to spend more time here to be able to make a truly informed decision.  Next on our gallery walk was the gallery of an artist know only by one name, Patron (a bit like Cher, Sting, or Prince).  Like Jose and Don, Patron was exquisite.  After enjoying his artwork we felt it time for a nap on a park bench but the ladies did not agree so we had lunch at a local restaurant and then slept during the 45 minute cab ride back to our casita in Ajijic.  



As to Cindy’s overhearing our discussion regarding our “desirability to women,” I noted another oddity, again possibly due to our proximity to the equator.  It appears to me that the more we availed ourselves of the local “artwork” the more we seemed to be desirable.  They seemed to really be taking an interest in us although discreetly veiled, we thought.  We think Cindy’s right, gallery walks can be fun.  After a good night’s sleep, we’ll be ready for another walk tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment