Thursday, January 17, 2019

71 Days in the World

Planing for the Trip 
Many hours in the office

How do two old people plan a trip that involves three continents and eight countries in 71 days? Just thinking about packing for 2 1/2 months is daunting, especially when one of the pair (yes, that would be me) insists on 21 inch wheeled suitcases plus under seat bags that fit over the extended handles.  No checked bags, please—too easy to get lost between connections and never catch up.  Now I’m thinking compression packing cubes.  Hmmm.

To begin:
Settled on Travel Leaders, a local travel agency that did a great job on booking flights, making all the between continent flights for about $2500.00 per person. Downside: it has taken from August to December to complete the details for this trip. Upside: budget—that’s a biggie.  All in all we have used our local agent for long intercontinental flights, transportation to and from airports, hotels in some countries, including Japan, Ethiopia and Germany, and some day tours. And she did a fantastic job booking an internal flight in Ethiopia.  I gave up after five frustrating hours online and the phone and she did it!! 

Then: we used a local agency, Funny Travels in Vietnam and a local guide, Cheru in Ethiopia as well as a contact from the Peace Corps who went on to become the head of Save the Children in Africa. That’s a story for another time. We asked friends for recommendations and a contact from Selamta, a charitable organization that I support.  We used our credit card travel agency to book hotels using our reward points.  We were able to book for two weeks (all of England and Ireland) using points because the points are worth more when used for travel.

And: I booked a phone call to Rick Steve’s travel consultants.  I had to prepare my questions ahead and submit them before hand so that our consultant would be prepared and able to make the best use of our time.  The charge for this was $75.00 for a half hour with 15 minute increments for $25.00.  Lisa managed to get all of my questions answered within the half hour.  It was so worth it.  She was knowledgable and patient with specific suggestions for transportation and day tours. She’s my new best friend! 

Now: In March we’re going to visit my cousin and his wife in Sweden.  Then we were going to Belgium but getting there became very complicated so we thought we would do a return visit to Amsterdam. However in looking at that choice I began to fret.  There are just too many places in the world that we haven’t been.  I looked at the map and saw Scotland. Perfect! So we can take a flight to Edinburgh (which I can’t pronounce) and then go on to Bath (which I also can’t pronounce BAWth, not Bath).   

In the meantime: I’m going to Weight Watchers religiously because who wants to go to a developing country 50 pounds overweight? I mean, really.  That’s embarrassing and I’m exercising because I have to be able to walk at least 5 miles a day. So When Dennis says you can’t go on a vacation because you’re retired, he’s right. Does this sound like a vacation? 

The world according to Dennis:

I’m compelled to make a comment here. I never said, “you can’t go on a vacation because you’re retired.” What I said is, “in order to take a vacation, you have to have a job.” Perhaps a minor distinction but...If you’re not working, what are you vacationing from???

Back to C—
So far: February 12th Flight to Addis Ababa cancelled.  Rescheduled to arrive on February 11. I contacted Joe (Tu) in Hanoi.  We made the changes with little frustration. On the 9th we were to have a free day in Hoi An but we’ve already done that so, YES, we can reschedule!  

What comes next?  Those compression packing cubes!  Our friend Phyllis stopped in to see my run-through packing and happened to mention that many international airlines only allow one 15 pound carry-on and one personal item. Oh #@*#. So we will have to check the wheeled suitcase and pack for overnight, plus two days worth of clothes and toiletries in the under seat bag in case of lost luggage.  Dennis said maybe we should take larger bags but then we have to maneuver them over dirt roads, into buses and trains, cobbled walks and up stairs. I think we can do it with our back pack as a personal item.  Should be fine.

Next up: booking trains in the UK which I can’t do until January and maybe not then as they usually only book two months out.  As I write I am mentally scrolling through what else I haven’t done—prepare a literacy workshop for the adults of Selamta in Addis, come up with a plan for a young adult book club when they don’t have multiple copies of a single title.  So who do I know who could give me suggestions for that?


All filed, ready to go: Japan & Vietnam, Ethiopia, Germany & Sweden, United Kingdom  

The world according to Dennis:
Did someone ask for suggestions? Well, if you made it through this treatise my hats off to you!  I kinda know what she’s talking about and I’m confused.  Rest assured though that with passport in hand, I’ll be running to keep up.  Oh yea, regarding running.  I’ll have a pocket full of Imodium tablets to prevent any little accidents from happening.  Holy #@*#  is right.  Cindy likes to embellish.  Me? Look for my future comments on this blog to give you the “real” picture of what’s happened. It’ll be just like being with us...let’s see if all of us can keep up with her. ;-)  

3 comments:

  1. That’s interesting you used the Rick Steves travel service. I didn’t know there was such a thing. Scott and I watch his PBS videos all the time about the places were traveling to.

    And hooray for travel cubes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Incredible! Enjoy the anticipation as well. We will follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick Steves blog can be found at blog.ricksteves.com and then in the search window you can type in Ethiopia to see what he has to say. He's going to be filming a program in Ethiopia for PBS in April. We'll miss him by a month. :-(

    ReplyDelete