Saturday, February 23, 2019

Busy Busy Addis

The World According to Dennis:
Our friend Sue Kosmoski flew in last night to join us ten days in Ethiopia from Chicago (via Turkey).  After visiting us, Sue will continue on in Africa with a camping safari in Tanzania while we explore more of the smaller towns in Ethiopia.
Addis Ababa is unlike anywhere I’ve ever been. The city is large, at least six million people but unlike Viet Nam, lots of cars and few motorbikes, and millions of people walking everywhere, all the time, in all directions with few traffic lights or traffic control.  Picture New York City at rush hour with no crosswalks and pedestrians in control, not the cars.  They seem to “dare” the vehicles.  Get the picture?


Then there’s the Mercado (market) with a million people selling and buying everything and anything you might need or want.  Mix in another 500,000 cars, bikes, carts, donkeys, dogs, folks, and maybe gypsies, tramps, and thieves (thought I’d toss that in, thanks Cher) all milling around seemingly oblivious of each other—mass hysteria of movement, smells, colors, and humanity.  There we were in a Toyota van with our guide, Haile and driver Millian, doors locked and I asked, “Are we going to get out and walk around?” Haile smiled at me and said, “I wouldn’t.” I took that as a hint to hunker down in my seat, face plastered against the window with people on the outside doing the same.


From another point of view—
Dennis is right (not only did I say it, I’m writing it). Ethiopia is a different world with an ancient unique culture. Addis is a mix of tradition and zest for innovation and new development.  New buildings are going up all over the city. The scaffolding used is what I remember from 1967, eucalyptus poles.
The new prime minister Abiy Ahmed has given hope to much of the country. Cross your fingers for his success. Expectations for him are high and the challenges are great. I can’t imagine who would envy his job and I do hope for his success in navigating all of the complex hopes and desires of the people. In the meantime energy is high and we are loving our experiences and learning so much as we move through the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment