Friday, February 8, 2019

Living the Life in Hoi An

I’m writing the draft of this with a pen given to me by a young man in the airport at Osaka.  I was trying to find a store that sold pens.  He bowed and presented me with this one. In Hue our guide, Harry presented us with “Happpy Money” to ensure that our new year would be one filled with prosperity and health. We were given two bags of peanuts when we bought a bottle of brandy and wine (don’t focus on this) by a young couple who ran the store.We were given more Happy $ when we spent the day at Tra Que Village.  The generosity we have encountered on this trip has humbled us.  We deeply realize how fortunate we are and how the accident of birth does not make us deserving. All of the people we have encountered have enriched our journey.  We only hope we have left positive feelings behind us.

Hoi An is a UNESCO Heritage site. It is filled with beautiful old buildings and temples as well as thousands of tourists.  Funny Travel has arranged experiences for us that take us away from the usual bustle of the historic district. I will admit though that I have found time for shopping.  I cannot resist a shirt for $10.00 that would be at least $90.00 at home.

We have had a foot massage, a cooking class, a ride in a bamboo boat, a gorgeous lunch that we helped prepare, all with our fantastic guide Jessica. How will I ever forget Dennis doing a song and dance while planting? If you see him on the Font Nine singing and dancing as he waters his flowers, you’ll know where he learned the routine.


And what a chef he is! He can flip Banh Xeo with the flick of a wrist.  This sizzling pancake is made with rice flour, water, and turmeric, vegetables and meat, if desired. My first Banh xeo landed on the floor! What a photo that


would have made.

Our second full day in Hoi An we had another terrific guide, Sing! He turned out to be Jessica’s husband (which I guessed). We went to My Son to see the Champa ruins.  Sing helped us understand the Indian goddess Shiva and the temples, houses and gates that can be seen here.

Once back in Hoi An Sing ordered a delicious lunch for us and then we headed for the river. the pottery village of  Thanh Ha was a highlight where Dennis gambled and lost 10,000 Dong! (50 cents)— Oh My Buddha!!




Tomorrow we head to Saigon, tearfully leaving the small towns and villages of Viet Nam behind us. What memories we have made!

The World According to Dennis:
Short conversation with D. Marv today. Cindy did a great job of summarizing what we did and I don’t want to write any more (but she forces me!!).  While she shopped for scarves, I sat outside the shop on the doorstep (just so you know, I HATE shopping!!) If I need underwear I buy it and leave. No shopping! So I sat on the stoop and a lady sat next to me, put her arm around me and asked if I’d like to buy a bag of peanuts.  After a lot of hand gestures pointing to my fat stomachs and trying to convey I just ate lunch, she led me to believe she could help. With chopsticks, she put a small chip if what I thought was coconut into my mouth—to settle my stomach!?? Holy s—t!! It must have been a combo of wasabi and tobasco!! After the top of my head blew off, she laughed, gave me a smile and moved on...I think to her next victim.  I bet she’s still laughing. Me too...what a great story to tell...more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment